The Sacrament of Marriage
Congratulations and best wishes on your decision to get married. This leaflet is designed to help you make arrangements to get married in the Church of Our Lady, Blessington.
Important points to consider:
1. A decision to get married in Church implies a commitment to religious belief and practice. If this is not present – if for example, you wish to use a Church for social or convenience reasons, then to get married in a Church is not right.
2. If you wish to declare before God and his Church your desire to become husband and wife and genuine difficulties of belief and practice arise – then it would be better if such problems were faced up to, and any priest will be only too happy to help.
3. Marriage in Church implies a life commitment so it is essential
to make adequate preparation – a pre marriage course should be
4. An application form is available from Parish Office. Tel: 045-865327, e-mail: email@example.com
5. Church Law - You must give three months notice (six months if under
18 years) to the priest of the parish in which you reside. He will then
prepare your marriage papers, which must include: *Baptismal Certificate
*Confirmation Certificate * Letters of freedom (if necessary) *Pre nuptial
6. If you live outside of Ireland – the papers must be prepared where you now reside and sent to the Reverend Chancellor, Archbishops House, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
7. For an inter Church wedding, the Roman Catholic partner requires
Civil Requirements for Marriage ......Please click here
If you are from outside of Blessington Parish – you must bring your own priest to celebrate the marriage, and the liturgy will be arranged with him.
It is up to the Bride and Groom to make their own arrangements for music in the marriage ceremony. This should be done in consultation with the priest officiating at the ceremony.
The flowers are also the responsibility of the couple. If your wedding is celebrated on a Saturday, we would appreciate if you would leave them in the Church for the week-end Masses (since there is little time for the flower arrangers to do their normal work).
Uuseful website: www.gettingmarried.ie
If you have any further queries, please contact the Blessington Priest at 045 865442, or The Parish Office at 045 865327