Blessington.info
facebook
BYP
 

In the graveyard is St. Mark's Cross (above). This is a 14ft high granite cross from the early church at Burgage, now submerged by the Blessington Lake.

Blessington was formerly called Baile Coimin and then Burgage until 1680. In early times there were three Churches - Kilmalum, Three Castles and Burgage. In 1547 there were two chaplains, one at Burgage and the other at Three Castles. The Church stood high above the Liffey beside a ford and it appears to have been an important ecclesiastical settlement in the early Irish Christian period. The district was first called Burgage in 1547 and continued to be known by that name until the erection of the village and church in 1683. The word 'Buirghis' (Burris) signifies burgage or borough. The borough of Blessington returned two members of the Irish parliament until the Union. £15,000 was paid to the Marquis of Downshire as compensation for the loss of this privilege. The name Blessington comes from Blessing in the biblical sense of a gift or favour.
The Manor of Blessington was created in 1669 by Charles 11 for Michael Boyle, Archbishop of Dublin and cousin of the First Earl of Cork. Boyle laid out the one street village and built the Protestant parish Church in 1662. He also built a great brick mansion in Blessington Demesne. This house stood on 410 acres including a large deer park of 340 acres. The whole estate was surrounded by a brick wall. (This house was destroyed by fire in 1760) In 1678 he became Lord Chancellor of Ireland and went to live in Armagh. He was the last ecclesiastical Chancellor of Ireland. He often returned to Blessington and followed the custom of landowners in those days and granted a portion of his estate for the site of a church, which he built and furnished at his own expense. The bells bear the date 1682. In 1798 the village was attacked by insurgents and "every good house burnt to the ground".
In the graveyard is St. Mark's Cross (top left). This is a 14ft high granite cross from the early church at Burgage, now submerged by the Blessington Lake.


History Books of the Area

An Emigrant Nun.
Elizabeth Smith – from Bombay to Baltiboys.

A personal reflection of coming to Blessington
(This page will take about 12 seconds to download @ 28.8 Kpbs)

The Manor of Blessington Created by Michael Boyle
(This page will take about 20 seconds to download @ 28.8 Kpbs)

The mapping of the Ordinance Survey across the Wicklow Gap in 1839
(This may take about 20 seconds to download)

Interments in the Blessington Area
(This may take about 20 seconds to download)

Placenames around Blessington
(This may take about 20 seconds to download)

Russborough
(This may take about 20 seconds to download)

The Battle in the Hayfield.
(This may take about 20 seconds to download)

The Burning of Tinode 1922

The Most Gorgeous Lady Blessington

The Ulster Bank (Downshire Lodge)

The Blessington Estate 1667 - 1908

Fr Theobold Mathew

St Patrick's Holy Well

Crosschapel Grotto to Our Lady

The Rev. Ogle Moore of Manor Kilbride.