Article by John Hussey
One of the first couples married at the ‘New’ Crosschapel.
The ‘new’ church at Crosschapel was dedicated on 8 September 1861. The builder was a contractor named Farrell, from Dublin. Brady’s quarry at Ballyknockan supplied the granite for the building and John Brady (aged about 40) and Marcella Tallon (aged 22) were among the first couples married in the church on 19th Nov. 1861.
We are very lucky to have a photograph of the couple, taken by Lauder Brothers, who opened one of the first photographic studios in Dublin in the 1850s.
The parish register records his parents as James Brady and Teresa Morland of ‘Dublin’, hers as Joseph Tallon and Mary Doyle of ‘Golden Hill’. The witnesses were Michael and Helena Tallon of Golden Hill, and the officiating priest was the Parish Priest, Fr. Hamilton.
Marcella Tallon was the daughter of Joseph Tallon and Mary Doyle who farmed at Golden Hill and was a grand-daughter of Michael Doyle, the operator of Golden Hill quarry (located in what is now called Glen Heste), whose elaborate gravestone at Kilbride has Freemasonry inscriptions. Golden Hill was the quarry which supplied the granite for many of the public buildings of Dublin the late 1700s and up to the mid 1820s.
John Brady’s parents were James Brady and Theresa Morland, and the marriage register gives their address as ‘Dublin’. James Brady was responsible for the transportation of the granite to Dublin and its erection in buildings there. It was his brother John Brady who is recorded in Griffith’s Valuation as the leaseholder of Brady’s quarry at Ballyknockan quarry in 1853.
In the 1860’s, quarrying activity at Ballyknockan was intense and in October 1866 Bradys placed the first advertisement for Ballyknockan granite in the ‘Dublin Builder’, as follows:-
In addition to operating the quarry, John Brady was active in the public sphere. He was elected a Guardian for the Naas Poor Law Union and was also active in the Land War in the 1870’s and 1880’s.
John Brady and Marcella Tallon lived at ‘Laurel Lodge’, which is located near the entrance to the Brady quarry at Ballyknockan.
Their first child, Mary Brady was born in 1862 and married William Osborne.
Their second child, James Stanislaus Brady was born in 1863. His ‘Sixth Reading Book - for use in schools’ was published in 1874 by Alex Thom of Dublin and is an expensive, leather-bound volume. It is dated inside the cover - October 17th 1877 and signed “James S. Brady, Ballyknocken, Blessington, Co. Wicklow”. James, was killed tragically on 8th August 1879, aged only 16 years, when the roof of an ice house collapsed on him. His grave was marked by an elaborate headstone at Kilbride (now broken into three parts, see photo on left). This, almost certainly, is also the grave of John Brady and Marcella Tallon.
Their other children were:
- Joseph, (of ‘Laurel Lodge’, Ballyknockan) 1865;
- David Coasmas, 1867;
- Marcella, 1869;
- John Brady (of ‘Hill View’ Ballyknockan), 1870;
- Esther Mary, 1872;
- Ellen, 1873;
- Bridget, 1877.
The Brady family home in Ballyknockan was at ‘Laurel Lodge’
Deaths of John Brady and Marcella Tallon
Marcella Tallon died in 1887, aged only 47, and was buried at Baltyboys cemetery. John Brady died on 22nd September 1895 at Ballyknockan, aged ‘about 74’ and his obituary appeared in the Leinster Leader, as follows:-
Soon after his father’s death, Joe Brady installed a commemorative stained-glass window of Saint Patrick in the church at Valleymount to commemorate both his parents. It is referred to as the ‘St. Patrick’ window and bears the inscription:-
Erected by Joseph Brady, Ballynocken
In memory of his deceased Parents & Friends.
R I P
In a guide to the church it is stated that "this window together with the ‘St. Brigid’, the ‘Our Lady of Good Counsel’ and the ‘Good Shepherd’ windows are English and date from the 1890's"
A well preserved single photo of John Brady taken at the time of his marriage.
Article by John Hussey