Blessington Parish Pastoral Council would like to be of assistance to all parishioners and voluntary groups working in the Church and in the Parish. They meet on the 2nd Tuesday of each month (except for July & August). If there are any issues that need to be addressed kindly put them in writing and drop them into the post box outside The Parish Office.

The P.P.C. members are as follows:
Chairperson: Lisa Charles
Secretary: Mary Young
Muriel O’Neill, Teresa Ball, Carmel O’Donovan, Eileen O'Donnell
Betty Murphy, Liam Fay, Sally Joyce , Ann Creighton, Eugene Tyrrell, Lorcan McMahon, Declan Naughton, Gerry Staines, Fidelma Hogan, Hugo Magee, Fr. Tim Murphy, Fr. Kevin Lyon.

Child Protection Policy and Guidelines
This document is in PDF format (541 KB)

 


Guideline for Parish Pastoral Council

Review of Activities of Blessington Parish Pastoral Council (P.P.C.)
December 2007- November 2008

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 13th November 2008

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 13th October 2008

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 18th September 2008

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 26th June 2008

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 15th May 2008

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 3rd April 2008

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 21st February 2008

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 10th of January 2008

Minutes of meetings for 2007

Minutes of meetings for 2006

Minutes of meetings for 2005

Minutes of meetings for 2004

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 10th of January 2008

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church.

Present: Fr. Tim, Teresa Ball, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Fidelma Hogan, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Eileen O’Donnell, Gerry Staines, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young.

Apologies: Fr. Kevin, Muriel O’Neill, Sally Joyce, Carmel O’Donovan

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Minutes of the 14th November/Matters arising
Were reviewed and discussed.

Lisa as chairperson of the PPC expressed sympathy to Liam Fay and Family on the death of his Mother.

Fr. Tim reported to the meeting that Bishop Eamonn was happy with how the meeting was conducted.

Christmas Project/AGM
It was reported at the meeting that through the parish website and office that the Christmas Candle Project had been well received . The volunteers at the door had put a huge amount of effort in making this project a success. There was a mixed view about the new Calendar/planner, young mothers who could organise their schedule for their children appreciated it. It was agreed at the meeting that we would use the format of a planner for our Calendar for next year’s project.

The feeling of the meeting was that the AGM was more a review than an AGM. It was felt what was needed was an opportunity to reach out to more members of the community and to have some feedback from Parishioners. It was agreed at the meeting that the PPC would hold a welcoming address for mass goers on the 1st Sunday of Lent.

Review of P.P.C. membership (resignation/new members)
Lisa as Chairperson told the meeting that Valerie Hamilton had resigned from the PPC and she was thanked for her work. Fr. Tim informed the meeting that Valerie was happy to remain as one of the four Child Protection Representatives for the Parish.

Lisa on behalf of the council also welcomed Eileen O’Donnell onto the PPC at the meeting.

Topic
Gospel Reading Matthew. 3: 13-17
“ This is my son, the beloved; my favour rests on him.’

Lenten Project.

Fr. Tim spoke at the meeting about a Parish facilitator that he knew of called Donal Harrington he had written a book called a ‘Welcoming Parish’. It was agreed at the meeting that if he was available we would book him for the last 3 Wednesdays in Lent the 5th the 12th and the 19th of March. It was also decided that this idea of a welcoming atmosphere could be incorporated into the PPCs’ welcome address and to advertise that the talks will be held in our new Parish Centre.

Child Protection Guidelines
The PPC received an email from Phil Garland expressing that his name is to be used as the Parishes/Dioceses designated person and that it is to be published on all parish notice boards. We also received a sample C.P. Guidelines from Fr. Paddy Boyle and the Subgroup from the PPC and the 4 Child Protection Representatives are to meet to discuss the proposed recommendations.

Correspondence/A.O.B.
We received correspondence from the Diocesan Liturgical Resource Centre informing the PPC if they would like to participate in a course called a ‘A time for everyone’ on the 19th of January.

Fr. Tim thanked Gerry and Caroline for all their in preparing for the RTE Radio Mass.

The new Parish Centre meeting room will be open soon with bookings through Ann in the Office. There will also be more funding to further renovations to St. Joseph’s’ Hall.

It was suggested at the meeting that perhaps there could be a notice board or list of names put in the church for 12 months for people who have died in the Parish during the year.

It was agreed to close up the St.Vincent de Paul box due to vandalism and that contributions could be made through the Parish Office.

It was noted that on the Christmas newsletter it was a good idea to put the time of services in Polish at the back of the newsletter. Teresa is to organise a poster with the different languages that are spoken in the community school by the different nationalities.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 21st February at 8.00pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 24th February.

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 21st February 2008

Venue: Meeting room, New Parish Centre

Present: Fr. Tim, Teresa Ball, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Eileen O’Donnell, Carmel O’Donovan, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.

Apologies: Fr. Kevin, Lorcan McMahon, Muriel O’Neill,

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Minutes of the 10th January/Matters arising
Were reviewed and discussed.

There was a vote of condolences on the people who were bereaved in the parish at the present time. It was noted that there was solidarity in the community, and that a great number of people came forward to help out where possible. The question was asked at the meeting because of the recent multiple funerals, is there now a need to have in place a funeral team structured within the Parish.

Teresa apologised for the delay in producing a poster with the different languages that are spoken in the Community College by the different nationalities attending the school.

It was agreed at the meeting that perhaps two members could be elected as assistants at the next PPC meeting.

Child Protection Guidelines

The Subgroup for the PPC and the Child Protection Representative met and revised the current guidelines, which are now ready to be agreed and signed by Lisa and Fr. Tim as Chairperson and President. A copy is to be sent to Archbishops House and the guidelines are to be made available on our website. These guidelines are now ready to be implemented however if the Child Protection Representatives have any further queries the PPC is available for them.

Topic
Gospel Reading John 4:5-42
‘ Whoever drinks this water will be thirsty again: but anyone who drinks the water that I shall give will never be thirsty again:

Lenten Project.

Donal Harrington a parish facilitator has been booked for the last 3 Wednesdays’ in Lent. The question was put to the meeting as to whether we would invite neighbouring PPCs to the talks and it was agreed that given our set-up with the new Parish Centre we would first look at the situation and keep it mind for next year. The PPC are to finish organising the meeting room and buy some equipment for the Kitchen. The PPC prosponed their Mass Address due to current circumstances and it was agreed to set the new date for the 1st weekend in March. Mary has spoken with Muriel and she has agreed to talk at the 2 Masses in Crosschapel.

Correspondence
We received a letter from Bishop Eamonn requesting the PPC to present and hold a survey during and after Masses on the week-end of the 8th/9th March with regard to the inevitable change in Parish structures and the requirement to make the best use of Parish resources between neighbouring Parishes in the Deanery. It was agreed at the meeting not to go ahead with the survey because we had already conducted one to this effect last year, and it was not necessary to conduct another one a year later. Mary to forward a letter to this effect to Bishop Eamonn.

A.O.B.
Liam had requested that if nobody from the Parish comes forward in relation to a plea at Mass last Sunday to set up a self help group for people with Mental Health Problems that the PPC could take this on as a project. It was suggested that we could put a notice in the Parish newsletter to see if there were any volunteers living in the Parish that would be willing to come forward to provide us with information. Eileen agreed to contact the relevant organisations to enquire if they would be willing to come to Blessington for an information evening.

The Bethany group is to organise a Mass of condolences on Wednesday the 12th of March for all those who are recently bereaved.

Fr. Kevin has produced an Easter Card, which will be delivered to each home in the Parish.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 3rd April at 8.00pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 6th of April

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 3rd April 2008

Venue: Meeting room, New Parish Centre

Present: Fr. Tim, Fr Kevin, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon, Declan Naughton, Eileen O’Donnell, Carmel O’Donovan, Muriel O’Neill, Gerry Staines, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young.

Apologies: Teresa Ball, Betty Murphy.

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Matters discussed / Decisions
Minutes of the 21st February/Matters arising
Were reviewed and discussed.
Teresa was not present to update the meeting on the production of a poster with the different languages that are spoken in the Community College by the different nationalities attending the school.
Carmel O’Donovan and Gerry Staines put their names forward for the position of assistant Secretary and Vice Chairperson for the coming year and this was agreed by the PPC. Lisa thanked Sally and Liam for their work and advice during the past two years.
Eugene is to make a Memorial notice board for people of the Parish who have been bereaved and that their name would be left on this notice for 12 months. The Bethany group would co-ordinate with the families and asks if they would like their recently deceased family member to be remembered on this board in the church.

Child Protection Guidelines
Mary asked if the Child Protection Guidelines on the Website which is situated under the PPC heading at the moment could be moved to a more friendly user and easy to access site. It was suggested at the meeting that the C.P. Guidelines be placed on the homepage. Fr. Tim said that he would put it to the website committee.
It was also noted at the meeting that Sean Feely had agreed to have his mobile telephone number put on the notices on the Parish Notice Boards if needs be.
The Child Protection Notice has not been put in St. Joseph’s’ Hall.

Topic
Gospel Reading LK: 24:13-35
‘ Did not our hearts burn within us as he talked to us on the road and explained the scriptures to us?’

Lenten Project.
The PPC addresses at masses at the beginning of March were well received, but there was no further feedback or suggestions from the community.
Donal Harrington gave 3 informative talks. As a result of these talks Liam has agreed to look further into the possibility of having our local Mass on Sundays Broadcast on radio.
Muriel volunteered to look for young people to distribute mass leaflets at masses on Sunday.

Correspondence
Valerie thanked the PPC for the Thank You card.
The PPC are invited to a Diocesan Gathering, Report on Evaluation and Mass on Sunday the 27th of April, Church of St Lawrence O’Toole, Kilmacud, 2.30-5.30pm, Replies by 11th of April.

A.O.B.
Eileen reported to the meeting that she had made contact with several Mental Health self help groups and that she had a very positive response from the group Recovery who are willing to come out to Blessington to talk to people who would be interested in setting a group within the Parish.
Eileen to organise a date with Recovery to come out to Blesseington.
Ann/Liam reported to the meeting that an information meeting from Aware took place the previous evening, it was well attended with good group participation in anticipation of organising a group in Blessington. There were some concerns at the meeting that these groups would not be able to meet the needs of some people with mental health problems. The people who attended the meeting felt that this group was a non-directive self help group.
There have been several requests to make bookings to for the meeting room in the Parish Centre. The ICA wish to book the room from September for the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the Month. The PPC made suggestions as to what prices could be asked for the rent of the room and it was agreed that the Parish Finance Committee finalises these details. It was also agreed that booking is for the room only and all belongings were to be brought home after the meeting.

Note: New date
Date of next meeting: Thursday the 15th May at 8.00pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 18th May 2008

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 15th May 2008

Venue: Meeting room, New Parish Centre

Present: Fr. Tim, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Declan Naughton, Eileen O’Donnell, Carmel O’Donovan, Muriel O’Neill, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.

Apologies: Fr. Kevin, Teresa Ball, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy.

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Matters discussed / Decisions
Minutes of the 3rd April/Matters arising
Were reviewed and discussed.

Teresa to leave the posters with the different languages that are spoken in the Community College by the different nationalities attending the school into the Parish Office during the week.

Lisa/Mary will have discussion with the Bethany group as to how best to utilise the Memorial Notice Board and hopefully the Bethany group would co-ordinate with the families and asks if they would like their recently deceased family member to be remembered on this board in the church. No update from Eugene with regards to notice board.

There has been a meeting organised with the group Recovery for the 22nd of May. This is an information evening for people who might be interested in setting up a Recovery in the Parish. Lisa/Eileen to organise the Parish Centre for the night.

Liam looking into the possibility of getting a Radio Link for the Church is ongoing.

Muriel looking for young people to help in the Church is ongoing.

Child Protection Guidelines
Fr. Tim informed the meeting that at the last Website Committee meeting, the display of the Parish Child Protection Policy on the site was discussed and as there are no free buttons on the Home Page at present, the website committee made a decision that the Child Protection Guidelines should be under the Churches drop down menu and also a link from the Parish Pastoral Council’s page.
Muriel had offered to help with the website links if needs be where a link could be used to all Parish based Community groups and organisations who are working with children so that the current Child Protection Guidelines could be used as a reference. The next website committee meeting is on the 12th of June.

It was noted at the meeting that Sean Feely and Gene Gilheany attended the official launch of the Garda Vetting Booklet at Clonliffe College recently.

Topic
Gospel Reading Jn.3:16-18
‘ God loved the world so much that he gave his only son, so that everyone who believes in him may not be lost but may have eternal life.’

Diocesan Gathering Kilmacud
Sally reported to the PPC that it had been a very formal gathering with over 1200 people present and with regard to the Evaluation Report she commented that our own evaluation seemed to be in the middle of the spectrum. She noted that the Archbishop had made a long address with keypoints of looking after people who are on the margins of society, the non-nationals that have come to work in the country and also dealing with the shortage of Priests.

Blesssington Deanery Meeting Kilcullen
Fr. Tim thanked the PPC for going to the meeting. Mary reported to the PPC that we were fortunate to have conducted our survey a year earlier because most of the other Parishes locally felt threatened by the latest survey and felt that they would loose their own parish identity. Muriel and Liam are to look for feedback from the meeting from Ailish O’Mahony.

Correspondence
The PPC are to write to the Gaelscoil inviting them to the next Parish meeting for children of 2nd Class in the who will be making their 1st Communion next May. This meeting will be held on the Monday the 16th of June at 8pm in the new Parish Centre.

It was also discussed and agreed at this meeting that St Mary’s’ NS would make their 1st Communion on the 2nd Saturday in May and that all other schools in the Parish would be offered the 4th Saturday in May.

Carmel/Muriel to draft a note in response to correspondence the Parish received from Parents of children who are attending to the No. 1 school with regards to Faith education.

A.O.B
The question was asked at the meeting is there any project or group that would be of benefit to post Confirmation teenagers. Several groups were mentioned, The Young Christian Workers Movement, Spirit Group CYC and Maura Hyland from Veritas. A subgroup to gather information for the next meeting.

At the meeting we received a list of the Parish expenditure to date and it was noted the amount of monies that the Parish had spent on the new school project. There was a discussion had as to how best to inform Parishioners in general as to how this money was spent.
The PPC also received a report from a recent gathering Parish Priests and Parish Finance Committees at Clonliffe College.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 26th June at 8.00pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 29th June

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 26th June 2008

Venue: Meeting room, New Parish centre

Present: Fr. Tim, Teresa Ball, Lisa Charles, Ann Creighton, Liam Fay, Fidlelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Eileen O’Donnell, Carmel O’Donovan, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young.

Apologies: Fr Kevin, Gerry Staines, Muriel O’Neill

Chairperson: Mary Young/ Lisa Charles

Secretary: Carmel O’Donovan/Mary Young

Minutes of the 15th May 2008 / Matters arising
Teresa presented the posters to the meeting, with the different languages that are spoken in the Community College by the different nationalities attending the school. It was suggested that the posters would be displayed in the porches of the Church in Blessington.

Lisa and Mary apologised for not having had a discussion with the Bethany Group. They both intend to meet with the group early in July to discuss how to best utilise the memorial notice board, and hopefully the Bethany Group would co-ordinate with the families and ask if they would like their recently- deceased family member to be remembered on the board in the Church. Eugene reported to the meeting that the work with the memorial board is ongoing.

There was an information meeting held with the group ‘Recovery’ on the 22nd May. There was good feedback from this meeting and it is hoped that in September a ‘Recovery group’ may be established in Blessington.

Liam is continuing his research into the setting up of a radio link from the Church for housebound parishioners.

Muriel was not present at the meeting to update on the efforts to recruit more young people to assist with Church activities.

Carmel to leave a proposed copy of a document to be signed by parents of children who attend No.1 school with regards to Faith education.

Topic:
Gospel reading Mt 16 13-19
‘ Simon Son of Jonah you are a happy man! Because it was not the flesh and blood that revealed this to you but my father in heaven.’

Gaelscoil na lochanna / Parish 1st Communion Masses 2009
The Principal, members of the Board of Management and some Parents from the Gaelscoil na Lochanna have requested to attend tonight’s meeting of the P.P.C. They wish to discuss the decision made at the last P.P.C. meeting with regards to the combined 1st Communion Masses for the Schools of the Parish. It is their intention to ask for their own exclusive 1st Communion Mass in Irish.

Lisa, Betty and Fr. Tim have been delayed coming to this meeting due to their attendance at a graduation Mass for 2nd class pupils, and have asked that the remainder of the P.P.C. proceed with discussion as to how to address the situation. Fr Tim has forwarded a proposal to the meeting for consideration – ‘that the 1st Communion Mass on the 4th Saturday in May could be a combined Mass celebrated in Irish and English (see notes). The feeling of the meeting was that it seemed unreasonable (and impracticable) to have separate Masses for small numbers of pupils attending the schools in question.
The Gaelscoil na Lochanna representatives arrive at 9pm and were welcomed by Lisa. Each person introduced themselves and spoke about how they were delighted with their invitation to join the Parish 1st Communion Program. They also put a strong case forward as to why they wanted their children to make their 1st Communion through Irish. Their request was for the church to be made available for an afternoon. Lisa, on behalf of the P.P.C. offered our proposal with the intention that they would see this as a community gathering. The Gaelscoil members said they would need to discuss this proposal and would reply back to the P.P.C.

Child Protection guidelines
Ann informed the meeting that the C.P.Guidelines have been placed under Churches on the Parish website.

Mary explained to the meeting the need for these Guidelines to be in a visible place is because all groups and organisations hiring or using Parish Property will be asked to sign a document in relation to Child Protection Policy.

Post Confirmation teenagers Christian Groups
Mary informed the meeting that she had been contact with Jenny Casey from the
Christian Workers Movement and that she would be happy to meet with the PPC to discuss the work they do, she would be happy to bring some of their members with her. It was agreed to invite Jenny to the next PPC meeting.

Betty had some books written by Maura Hyland that could be of some interest for the youth of the 12-15years age group. Carmel made a proposal that a group could meet before the next meeting to discuss this information.

Re-Organisation of weekend Mass times(in case of emergency)
A group from the PPC are to draw up a plan as to how to forward with a scheduled for weekend Mass times and present it at the next meeting.


A.O.B.
The PPC would like to express a sincere thank you to Caroline Finan for all work she has given to the Parish as Choir mistress over the past years and wishes her best of luck with her
.

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 18th September 2008

Venue:
Meeting room, New Parish centre

Present:
Fr. Tim, Teresa Ball, Lisa Charles, Ann Creighton, Liam Fay, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Betty Murphy, Muriel O’Neill, Carmel O’Donovan, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young, Hugo Magee.

Apologies:
Fr Kevin, Lorcan McMahon, Declan Naughton, Carmel O’Donovan, Eileen O’Donnell, Gerry Staines,

Chairperson: Mary Young/ Lisa Charles

Secretary: Carmel O’Donovan/Mary Young

Matters discussed / Decisions
Minutes of the 26.06. 2008 / Matters arising
Lisa and Mary met with the Bethany Group early in July and the Bethany Group are willing to coordinate the memorial board with the bereaved families from the Parish. It is anticipated that the Board would be ready for the month of November. Eugene is to bring the new Memorial Board to the next meeting.-

There is nobody available to run a Recovery group meeting in the Parish at present. The matter is ongoing.

Liam is continuing his research into the setting up of a radio link from the Church for housebound parishioners. He wanted to clarify at the meeting how far the Masses were hoped to be transmitted.

Muriel had a discussion with Teresa and it their intention to ask the young people to help out at Masses during the Christmas season.

Carmel and Muriel spoke with Ann and thought the proposed document that was already prepared was very good but would like the word Sacrament added into it.

Topic:
Gospel reading Mt 20:1-16
‘ Thus the last will be first, and the first, last.’’

YOUNG CHRISTIAN WORKERS MOVEMENT
Jenny Casey from YCW gave a presentation to the PPC about the work that she is doing with young people. Jenny brought a young Volunteer Michelle to the meeting and they both discussed how they got involved and how to get young people involved in the program run by YCW. The aim of the program is to help the young person to discuss and make decisions for themselves through a process called See Judge and Act. She said that this program could be run through schools or community. The recommended number of young people is 6 people and we would also need to source a facilitator. Jenny gave the information packs at the meeting and said that she would be available to help with a program if needs be.

Correspondence
The PPC received an email from the Faith team in CYC to say that they have officially closed for services.

The updated Parish Child Protection guidelines have been approved by the Child Protection Office and have been returned to the Parish. The Guidelines are available in the Parish Office.

Ann received a letter from Archbishop House requesting the Parish to hold a survey for the number of people who attend Masses on the 2ndt weekend in October

Re-Organisation of weekend Mass times(in case of emergency)

Ann/Sally/Eileen presented a proposed amended timetable of Masses to the meeting. After some discussion it was proposed to change the Saturday evening Mass in Blessington to 6pm. And to discontinue the 9am Mass in Crosschapel and also the 8am Mass in Manor Kilbride. Fr. Tim is to have discussions with the local representative bodies for these Churches about these proposed changes. It is hoped that these changes would be introduced in January 2009.

A.O.B.
The PPC would like to congratulate Fr. Kevin on his recent Photography Exhibition and the amount of monies that were raised for the Local St Vincent de Paul Society.

The PPC would like to extend a warm welcome to the new Church of Ireland Minister the Rev Leonard Ruddock.

The PPCs’ A.G.M. will be held on the Monday 1st of December.

The Ecumenical Carol Service will be held on the Sunday the 21st of December at 5pm.


Dates of next 2 meetings:

• Thursday the 16th October 2008
• Thursday the 13th of November 2008

Topic- Review of Gospel for Sunday 19th of October2008

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 13th October 2008

Venue:
Meeting room, New Parish centre

Present:
Fr. Tim, Teresa Ball, Lisa Charles, Ann Creighton, Liam Fay, Sally Joyce, Betty Murphy, Carmel O’Donovan, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young, Eileen O’Donnell,

Apologies:
Fr. Kevin, Fidelma Hogan, Muriel O’Neill, Declan Naughton , Lorcan McMahon

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young


Minutes of the 18.09.08 / Matters arising
Eugene Informed the meeting that the Memorial Board for people who have died in the parish over the last year would ready for the special Mass that will be celebrated on Monday the 3rd of November.

It was agreed at the meeting that we would go ahead with a local radio transmitted Mass in the Blessington area as a pilot project, and in time it could be transmitted to the surrounding areas of the Parish.

CYC have invited a group of young people in the Parish to a gathering in St.Paul’s Church Arran Quay. Betty has organised a group from the Parish to go this Saturday.

The Child Protection Guidelines have now been placed in the Porch of St. Joseph’s Hall.

The possibility of setting up a group belonging to the Young Christian Workers Movement is ongoing

To setup a Recovery Group in the parish is ongoing

AGM
The AGM is to be held on Monday the 1st of December. It was agreed to call this meeting a Gathering in the hope that it would encourage more people to attend. It was also agreed to give a talk at the 4 Blessington Masses this Sunday being “Mission Sunday” to inform the mass goers what work the PPC have done throughout the year and to invite them to the gathering.

The Parish Finance Committee will also give a presentation on the night.

Topic Gospel: Mt. 28: 16-20
Baptise them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to fulfil all that i have commanded you. I am with you always until the end of the world.
Re-organisation of weekend mass times

It was agreed to amend our proposal at our last meeting to discontinue the 9am Mass in Crosschapel. After some discussion it was felt that there was a need to have 1 early mass at 9am Mass and only discontinue with the 8am in Manor Kilbride.

Correspondence
The CYC invited a group of young people to a Gathering in Arron Quay. See above.

We received a letter from "mylocalnews.ie" asking if the Parish wanted to join their website. We declined the offer.

A.O.B.
On Friday the 14th of November the 4 Irish Church Leaders who visited The holy Land last march will show a film and give a presentation on their visit in the Chapel in Trinity College Dublin at 3pm.

Betty and Fr. Tim attended a Drugs Task Force initiative meeting in Maynooth with the Bishops and 2 of our local youths spoke to the gathering on these issues, Their talk was received very well. Liam is to read proof read a draft document on “How Parishes can respond to Alcohol/Drugs Issues”.

Caroline Finan, Totoy and some young people from the Parish Choir have launched a CD for Christmas.

Next meeting Thursday the 13th November 2008

Topic- Review of Gospel for 16th November 2008


back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 13/11/08

Venue: Meeting room, New Parish centre

Present: Fr. Tim, Lisa Charles, Ann Creighton, Liam Fay, Fidelma Hogan, Lorcan McMahon, Gerry Staines, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young, Eileen O’Donnell,

Apologies: Fr. Kevin, Teresa Ball, Sally Joyce, Betty Murphy, Muriel O’Neill, Declan Naughton, Carmel O’Donovan

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young


Minutes of the 16.10.08 / Matters arising

The P.P.C. thanked Eugene for the work he put into making and presenting the Memorial Board for people who have died in the parish over the last year was ready for the special Mass that was celebrated on Monday the 3rd of November.

It was agreed at the meeting that we would go ahead with a local radio transmitted Mass in the Blessington area as a pilot project. Liam to present the costs to the finance committee and hopefully the transmitter would be ready for broadcast at Christmas Masses.

CYC have invited a group of young people in the Parish to a gathering in St.Paul’s Church Arran Quay. Betty has organised a group from the Parish to go this Saturday. There has been no follow-up to date as Betty was not at this meeting.

A copy of the Child Protection Guidelines has been handed into the Principal in St. Marys Junior National School.

The possibility of setting up a group belonging to the Young Christian Workers Movement is ongoing

To setup a Recovery Group in the parish is ongoing. It was also brought up that Michael Doyle could be contacted to find out if there has been any more developments in setting up an AWARE Group in the Parish.

The “Mission Sunday” address of 15th/16th October by members of the PPC at weekend Masses were well received.


Liam reported to the PPC that he had read the Draft document on “how Parishes can respond to Alcohol/drugs Issues”and said the document was lengthy and difficult to read. He is to write a letter to the Bishops Conference making these comments.

The Gathering
• The Meeting to be held in the Church and to be addressed by
• Welcome Fr. Tim,
• Lisa Charles,
• Mary Young,
• 2 d’Caf Volunteers
• The Parish Finance Committee
• A.O.B. Fr. Tim
The Mulled Wine reception to be held in the G.P. Room of the School afterwards with a presentation of a Model of a Proposed new extension to the Church and new Parish Centre.

Topic Gospel: Mt 25: 14-30
For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have abundance: but for those who are unproductive, even what they have will be taken from them.

Re-organisation of weekend mass times
There was a Parish Survey completed last weekend and it was agreed to change the Saturday night Mass to 6pm in Blessington. Fr. Kevin and Fr. Padraic both agreed to discontinue their early morning Masses on Sundays in their respective Churches together. All these new arrangements will start from the 1st of January 2009.

Christmas Preparations
Joanne Harding has been appointed the new Choir Mistress for the Children’s Parish Choir and they will sing at the 10am Mass on Christmas morning.

Ann, Mary, Fr.Tim, Betty to organise the various Christmas Church rotas for adults and children wishing to participate or help out at Christmas ceremonies.

Correspondence
The PPC received at letter from the Gaelscoil thanking us for our invites to participate in 1st Communion preparation Masses to date and also requesting to have use of the Church for their own 1st Communion Mass. There was disappointment expressed at this meeting from PPC members that the Gaelscoil did not wish to take up the offer of combined schools Parish 1st Communion Mass but that could have use of the Church on their proposed date in May. Mary is to reply to their letter.
Fr.Tim has Written to Fr. Shan O’Cuiv (Clondalkin Parish) and has explained to him the PPCs’ proposal to date and he is waiting for communication from him.

Correspondence cont/d
The Liturgy Resource Centre invited the Parish to a Funeral Team Ministry Day in Kilmacud Parish on the 22nd of November 2008

A.O.B.
Caroline Finan, Totoy and some young people from the Parish Choir will launch a CD for Christmas in the Avon Ri next Friday 28th of November. The PPC would like to thank Catherine Behan for taking on this project.

Next meeting Thursday the 22nd January 2009

Topic- Review of Gospel for 25th January 2009


back to top

Review of Activities of Blessington Parish Pastoral Council (P.P.C.) December 2007- November 2008

Introduction:
We had our 3rd AGM / End of Year Gathering last year on the 9th of December, this meeting was well attended and various matters were discussed.
Welcome by Fr. Tim
Opening Welcome and Address by Chairperson Lisa Charles
Synopsis of work to date- Mary Young
Parish Finance Committee Report

The Parish Pastoral Council
The majority of the members of the P.P.C. have been in place for three years and they are: Fr. Tim, Fr. Kevin, Teresa Ball, Lisa Charles, Ann Creighton, Liam Fay, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Hugo Magee, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Eileen O’Donnell, Carmel O’Donovan, Muriel O’Neill, Gerry Staines, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young. Valerie Hamilton resigned from the P.P.C. last January and was thanked for her work. The P.P.C. Welcomed Eileen O’ Donnell to the Council. Gerry Staines and Carmel O’Donovan were elected as Vice Chairperson and Assistant Secretary. Lisa Charles and Mary Young have completed their 3 year cycle as officers and are due to step down from these positions in January.

Synopsis of Work during 2008
Christmas Candle Project 2007
This project was well received by the community and thank you to all the volunteers who helped make it a success.

Lenten Talks
This year’s Lenten talks were presented by Donal Harrington and the theme was ‘A Welcoming Parish’.
Sacramental Preparation
Betty Murphy (Parish Pastoral Worker) co-ordinates the “Do this in Memory” program for 1st Holy Communion children and their parents and the Confirmation program for the children and their parents. In partnership with Crosscare, Betty organised Workshops for the children who received their Confirmation in 2008 on the topic of Drugs Awareness & Healthy Life Choices.

Other matters which were addressed during the year

• The revised and updated Child Protection Guidelines have now been completed and approved by the diocese and are available to view on the Parish website.
• Liaison with Parish Groups and schools within the Parish.
• The PPC co-ordinated the production of Welcome Posters in different languages for the Church.
• Produced the Memorial Board for the bereaved in the Parish which will be co-ordinated by the Bethany group.
• Pilot project of Local Mass being broadcast on Radio.
• Parish Survey (Mass Attendance), and to change and downscale the number of Masses being celebrated at the week-end.

Invited speakers at P.P.C. meetings/and Parish talks
1. Ms Jenny Casey from the YOUNG CHRISTIAN WORKERS MOVEMENT - spoke about the different programs that could be set up for teenagers
2. A speaker from AWARE gave a presentation on the work of the organisation and the possibility of setting up a group in the area.
3. We also had a presentation from Dermod Grennan on the RECOVERY organisation and how to go about setting up a support group in the local area.

Team work/Support for P.P.C. Members/Spiritual formation.
Bishop Eamonn Walsh invited the P.P.C. to a meeting for the Blessington Deanery in Kilcullen to discuss and plan for the clustering of Parishes.
As part of each P.P.C. meeting, the following week’s Gospel is reviewed and discussed.

The PPC meet 10 times a year and the minutes may be viewed on the parish website
www.blessington.info


back to top