Blessington Parish Pastoral Council would like to be of assistance to all parishioners and voluntary groups working in the Church and in the Parish. They meet on the 2nd Tuesday of each month (except for July & August). If there are any issues that need to be addressed kindly put them in writing and drop them into the post box outside The Parish Office.

The P.P.C. members are as follows:
Chairperson: Lisa Charles
Secretary: Mary Young
Muriel O’Neill, Teresa Ball, Carmel O’Donovan, Valerie Hamilton,
Betty Murphy, Liam Fay, Sally Joyce , Ann Creighton, Eugene Tyrrell, Lorcan McMahon, Declan Naughton, Gerry Staines, Fidelma Hogan, Fr. Tim Murphy, Fr. Kevin Lyon.

Guideline for Parish Pastoral Council

Review of activities of Blessington Parish Council (P.P.C.) 2007

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 14th November 2007

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 14th October 2007

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 13th September 2007

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 14th June 2007

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 17th May 2007

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 19th April 2007

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 8th March 2007

Minutes of meeting 9th February 2007

Minutes of meeting 9th January 2007

Review of 2006

Minutes of meetings for 2006

Minutes of meetings for 2005

Minutes of meetings for 2004

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 9th January 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church

Present:
Fr. Tim, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Geraldine Cleary, Liam Fay, Valerie Hamilton, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donvoan, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.

Apologies: Teresa Ball, Muriel O’Neill, Eugene Tyrell

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Matters discussed / Decisions
Minutes of 15th November/ Matters arising
Were reviewed and agreed

A decision was taken at the meeting that there was no need for a policy for people who advertise in the newsletter. The disclaimer in the newsletter at the end of the commercial section was adequate and we support Ann with all of her decisions on this matter.

Chairperson, Lisa Charles on behalf of the P.P.C. expressed sympathy to Muriel O’Neill and family on the death of her mother

Child Protection Update:
Fr. Paddy Boyle from the Dublin Diocese Child Protection Service attended our meeting. Fr. Paddy spoke broadly about the problems parishes have in compiling documents, he noted that we had completed a lot of the work to date and that our guidelines were good because they were clear and straight forward. He said we needed to amend our guidelines because Phil Garland is the Designated person for the Dublin dioceses. He outlined some of the responsibilities of the Child Protection Representative. One of the responsibilities would be to publish and promote the Parish Guidelines and to make the name of the designated person publicly known within the parish. It was noted that the PPC subgroup had worked on the documents for 2 years and it was subsequently agreed that the representatives would arrange to meet with Fr. Paddy to amend the guidelines, they would in turn present them to the council to be agreed and signed. Then the representatives would be able to enact them in due course.

25th /125th Celebrations
PPC to confirm with the Millennium Choir the date of their concert the 13th May.
There was a meeting on the 18th December with The Board of Management, P.T.A., Teachers and the PPC to discuss the forthcoming celebrations. They spoke about the possibility of having a parish social event on the 10th June. They agreed to meet on the 22nd January and hopefully will be able to confirm dates.
Fr. Tim also expressed the possibility of holding a Parish Dinner Dance. It was agreed that we could discuss this further at the nest meeting.

Topic
Gospel Reading John 2:1-11
‘ There was a Wedding at Cana in Galilee.’

Review of local Deanery Meeting
It was expressed at the meeting that the meeting in Kilcullen was informative and that it would useful to arrange to meet again perhaps with a different format to the meeting. Fr. Tim said that he had another Deanery meeting with priests coming up shortly and that he would discuss it there.

A.O.B.
Geraldine conveyed at the meeting that she would like to resign form the PPC due to other commitments. The PPC thanked Geraldine for her time and contribution to meetings. Lisa wasn’t sure of the length of term of office for the chairperson and secretary to date, but she was willing to continue as chairperson if that is acceptable. It was decided to discuss the possibility of new members at our next meeting.

The Christmas festivities were very well received and there doesn’t seem to be any room for improvement! Well done to everybody involved.

It was noted at the meeting that there was a need to look for facilitators who could give talks during lent in preparation for Easter.

There was an overwhelming agreement at the PPCs’ AGM to move forward with the proposed extension to the church. Fr. Tim was hoping to speak with the finance committee to discuss the possibility of looking for different designs.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 8th February at 8.30pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 11th February

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 9th February 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church

Present:
Fr. Tim, Teresa Ball, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donvoan, Muriel O’Neill, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.

Apologies: Valerie Hamilton, Fidelma Hogan.

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Sally Joyce/ Mary Young

Matters discussed / Decisions
Minutes of 15th November/ Matters arising
Were reviewed and agreed

Child Protection Policy –
Group has not met with Fr. Paddy Boyle since the last meeting, and so there is no update on related matters.

New PPC Members –
3 Volunteers, Good number on the PPC recently, but it may be helpful to have new members from CrossChapel and Manor Kilbride directions who may be able to address PPC issues in those areas. Fr. Tim to talk with potential members and ascertain what commitment they may be prepared to make.

25th /125th Celebrations
A meeting was held on the 22nd January with the teachers, PTA, BOM and PPC and preparations have been made for the Family day to go ahead after the 11am Mass on the 17th June. We are still awaiting official confirmation from Archbishop Martin regarding his availability on that date.

Millennium Choir Mass- Kildare Orchestra unable to commit for that date due to reduced availability of members. Muriel to make further enquiries – options – alternative date or settle for a reduced size orchestra.
Gospel Choir Concert – Eugene was to look for sponsorship, no word if any was obtained. This should be a ticketed event whether free or pay in.
25th March – Piccolo Lasso 7.30pm Mass and Concert confirmed. Plan refreshments for group following. Discussion around how to advertise event to maximise audience, do not want a situation where many Mass goers leave prior to concert leaving a poor audience. Also welcome concertgoers who arrive following Mass.

Need for program of events when all has been confirmed, as well as ongoing advertising in newsletter. Also the Chairperson could formally make a public announcement about the forthcoming events.

Topic

Gospel Reading Lk. 6:17. 20-26
‘ How happy are you who are poor; yours is the kingdom of God.

Lenten Program
Christine Clear will facilitate 2 talks on the 21st and 28th of February. The Spirituality of making decisions, choices and change.
Fr. Michael Rodgers will facilitate 3 talks on the 14th 21st and 28th of March. How God can speak to us through the signs of the present times with an emphasis on Lent.
The above talks will begin at 8.30pm in the G.P. room. There will be Mass for lent at 8pm in the church of Our Lady Blessington.

Deanery meeting
Fr. Tim attended a local Deanery meeting with Priests and discussed how we could move forward in holding another gathering of PPC members. He spoke to us about Donal Harrington. He is an experienced person working in the area of parish renewal and that perhaps he could put together a program for Advent 2007 and Lent 2008. He suggested that a small group could meet with Donal to design a template to conduct in Parishes.
Fr. Tim said he would speak with the other Priests of the Deanery to see if he could move this forward.

A.O.B.
The PPC to write a letter to acknowledge the work that Eddie D’Arcy is doing with the leaders in the Youth Café.
Fr. Tim acknowledged the work that Gerry is doing in applying pressure to secure a Day Care Centre in Blessington for the Elderly.
Fr. Tim spoke to Manus O’Donnell and Derek Byrne of Henry J Lyons Architect to come up with a design for the new extension/parish centre for the church.
Fr. Tim enquired of Liam if he would speak with the Forum in connection with the new sewage Plant and how its delay in opening would effect the new school.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 8th March at 8.30pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 11th March

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 8th March 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church.

Present: Fr. Tim, Fr. Kevin, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Valerie Hamilton, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donvoan, Gerry Staines, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young.

Apologies: Teresa Ball, Muriel O’Neill.

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Matters discussed / Decisions
CROSSCARE Drug Awareness Programme
Einear O’Neill and Chris Murphy from Crosscare DAP were invited to meet with the PPC to discuss a new pilot programme that they are planning to launch. The programmes’ aim is support Parishes in their efforts to promote Prevention and Early Intervention in relation to drug problems and drug use. They were enquiring of us if we would be interested in taking part in it. Of the 200 Hundred parishes in the diocese we have been selected as one of ten to start this initiative
If as a parish we decided to take on this project we would link.Crosscare to the relevant existing services within the community.
In relation to the Confirmation Class taking the pledge, The PPC asked if a representative from Crosscare would hold an awareness meeting with the Parents of 6th class in May/June and that Betty our Pastoral Care Worker would be in contact with them after Easter.

Minutes of 8th February/matters arising
Were reviewed and agreed

Child Protection Policy- Fidelma informed the meeting that CP representatives have had 2 planned and subsequently cancelled meetings with Fr. Paddy Doyle and so there is no further developments on related matters.
Mary asked Fidelma and Valerie if they could clarify with Fr. Paddy at their next meeting as to whether there is mandatory reporting for people offering professional services: i.e.: councillors. This subject came up for discussion at our meeting in January and the situation was left unclear.


Lenten programme: The talks on spirituality are to run with the same format for the 2nd speaker Fr. Michael Rodgers.

Topic
Gospel Reading Lk. 13:1-9
‘ They are not, I tell you. No; but unless you repent you will all perish as they did’

25th/125th Anniversary Celebrations
25th March Piccolo Lasso Singers: Plan Refreshments for some of the group before the concert in the West Wicklow House. Some of the singers may needed to be collected from 2 different collection points. Advertise the concert widely. Muriel will hopefully be in attendance later at the meeting to give more details.
Eugene presented 2 copies of the banner, which is to be hung on the large glass windows outside the church. Lisa is to confirm with Eugene the chosen banner.
The Archbishop has confirmed that he will be in attendance on the 17th June. Ann will be in touch with his Master of. Ceremonies in due course.
We need to print cards to advertise events.

The next meeting with the Teachers, PTA, BOM and the PPC will be on the 16th April at 3pm.


Feed back from Consultation Meetings with parishioners in Crosschapel & Manor Kilbride
The questionnaires from these meetings are being processed at the present time by Fiona Mulvaney and will be available shortly for reading.
In relation to purchasing an acre of land from the C.of.I for the school Fr. Tim informed the meeting that he had written to the Department of Education informing them of the selling of the land. He also asked them to consider when this site goes for planning that the department would have an impute into it.

A.O.B.
The official opening of the d’Caf Youth Café is on the 21st of March with special guests Minister Dick Roche and Bishop Eamonn Walshe, the PPC are cordially invited. It is the intention of the d’Caf committee to raise awareness with the various development partnerships for the need for funds to run the d’Caf project.
.
Liam asked if there was any follow up on the work that Fr Fadi diab was doing in Palestine and could the parish of Blessington respond in any way to his needs.

Gerry asked if we could pray for Fr. Kieran Creagh who was shot in South Africa this week.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 19th April at 8.30pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 22nd April

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 19th April 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church

Present:
Fr. Tim, Fr Lyon, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Sally Joyce, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donovan, Gerry Staines, Fidelma Hogan

Apologies: Mary Young, Lorcan McMahon, Teresa Ball, Muriel O’Neill, Valerie Hamilton,

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Sally Joyce

Minutes of 08/03/07/ Matters arising
• Crosscare representative was back in touch with Anne in follow up to proposed meeting with parents of 6th class pupils – drugs awareness meeting. They are available 16th May which will give sufficient time to invite parents. Also they have proposed introduction of ‘Walk Tall Program’. Anne does not have sufficient information about this program as regards it content and target audience. Await further information and then discuss. In all likelihood, post primary awareness programs may be addressed in due course if and when any program becomes established with the young adolescent age group.
Plan to discuss further at upcoming meetings.

• C.P.P. No progress made with scheduling meeting with Fr Paddy Boyle. Efforts to do so are ongoing. Lisa to discuss with Valerie.

• dCaf opening went off successfully. Fr Tim suggested that the P.P.C. forward a letter to V.E.C. to emphasize the need for additional funding for youth workers and professional input which would allow dCaf to be open x6 nights per week as opposed to the current 1 night / week. Outline the efforts which have been made by the P.P.C. and volunteers in getting the project up and running. The need for increased opening is clearly evident.
Betty informed the meeting that a trial lunch-time club is proposed on Friday 11th May during school lunch hour. This may attract young people to come with their friends who may be reluctant or unable to attend the evening sessions. The idea is to promote identification and ownership of the club amongst the youth population.

25th /125th Celebrations
• Piccolo Lasso concert has taken place. One of the Mass collections was put towards costs.
• Joint PPC reps / school body reps - meeting took place on 16/04/07. All joint agreements for Archbishops mass are in order.
• Eugene planning to put up banner tomorrow – 21st April.
• Millennium Choir Mass – May do their own publicity. Anne will check what additional advertising required. Usual notice in newsletter etc. There will be cost of organ rental incurred.
• Tullamore Gospel Choir. Agreed it is a free concert. Issue tickets as invitations and to promote generally. Tickets available at office. Encourage youth attendance via Schools and dCaf. Put notices in press event guide and on local radio and Lyric FM.

There was general discussion re fund raising towards celebration events so that they may be enjoyed for free by all. Issue of sponsorship came up again. No sponsorship has been secured. Suggestion made to hold coffee morning after 11am Mass to raise some funds. This might be more of a P.R. exercise to raise awareness for events.
It was suggested that as these are major milestone celebrations in the life of the Parish, cost should not be an influencing factor in the preparations of events. Also it should not fall to the P.P.C. to be the body who should be addressing the raising of funds.
Fr tim to bring this matter to the attention of the finance committee.

Topic:
Jn 21:1:19 Jesus showed himself again to the disciples.

Deanery Meeting
An invitation was received from Bishop Eamonn Walshe for representatives of the P.P.C. to attend a meeting along with other P.P.C. groups in Kilcullen Parish centre on Mon 14th May. The purpose of the meeting is to determine how groups are getting along, and see what further support groups require. The proposed meting may be repetitive of previously held meetings. The Priests of the Deanery are due to meet on 30/04/07 and will discuss the matter

A.O.B.
Correspondence received

• Letter thanking the group for participation in Survey of Social Justice Activity in Parishes.
• Program received for a Diocesan day for Funeral Teams.
P.P.C. has previously discussed need for a Parish Funeral Team and it was decided that a team was not necessary at this point in time.

Other matters
• There is currently a limited CCTV system installed in the Church. It is used principally to monitor the church art works. However unwanted activity has been observed by primary school children in the church. Note: film is only reviewed after evidence of tampering with Church property has been noted. This situation brings to light the requirement for a more sophisticated CCTV system. This may act as a deterrent for unwelcome intruders. Also in the event of damage or theft of property, it may yield useful information. The P.P.C. is in agreement that suitable equipment be researched and installed in due course.
• Questionnaires circulated at recent Parish meetings have been collated by Fiona Mulvany. The results were distributed to the group for consideration prior to next month’s meeting. As an informed group we will then discuss the best options for proposed changes in Mass schedules in the event of reduced priest numbers in the Parish. Anne to pass paperwork to group members absent tonight
• Fr Kevin’s celebration 25th May. Bishop Eamonn Walshe to be in attendance. Invitations will be issued from the P.P.C. to Fr Kevin’s guest list.
• Confirmation ceremony has taken place. It was noted how well prepared and arranged the event was. Thank you to everybody who was involved.
• Comment on Easter Ceremonies. At large church gatherings there are extra Eucharistic Ministers. This can cause extra confusion. Need to review the placement of additional Ministers so flow is increased and not impeded.

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 17th May 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church.

Present: Fr. Tim, Fr. Kevin, Teresa Ball, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donvoan, Muriel O’Neill, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.

Apologies: Valerie Hamilton, Lorcan McMahon, Carmel O’Donovan.

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Matters discussed / Decisions
Minutes of 19th April/matters arising
Were reviewed and discussed
Crosscare have been in contact with Ann and they have confirmed that they will deliver a talk on the ‘Walk Tall. Program’ next Tuesday night 22nd May for the parents of Sixth Class children.
C.P.P. Lisa had a discussion with Valerie and she recalled that the only contact made with Fr. Paddy Boyle of late was to answer a questionnaire in relation to the C.P. course they attended. Lisa is to discuss with Valerie if it would be possible for the C.P. Subgroup to have a meeting themselves to discuss how they could move the process forward and to arrange a meeting with Fr. Paddy Boyle to amend our C.P. Guidelines.

25th and 125th Anniversary Celebrations
Millennium Choir Mass has taken place. One of the Mass collections was put towards the costs.
Joint PPC reps / school body reps – meeting took place on Monday the 14th May for the joint school and church celebrations on the 17th June. All joint agreements are coming into plan. It was agreed that the tree would be replaced with a commemorative stone and the wording was subsequently agreed at this PPC meeting. Next meeting 6th June.
Tullamore Gospel Choir. Issue invites to parish workers, Sponsorship has been arranged,
The PPC would organise refreshments for the Choir after the concert.

Youth celebration Mass on the 27/5/07
Final Confirmation Mass on the 26/5/07

Topic
Gospel Reading 24: 46-53
‘ And now I am sending down to you what the father has promised.’

Fr. Kevins’ 50th Anniversary Celebrations
Fr. Kevin informed the PPC that the Crosschapel organising committee with the help of Muriel and Gerry have had a couple of meetings and all is in order.

Deanery meeting
Lisa gave a brief outline at what was discussed at this meeting and literature was given to everyone at the meeting. There were 2 proposals put to the meeting: that each parish within the deanery would work together on 2 projects for advent and lent. The second proposal was the grouping together of parishes in the event of reduction of priests. It was agreed that the PPC would read the material given and discuss it at our next meeting.

A.O.B.
Fr. Tim made special announcement at the meeting that Fr Kevin was being honoured with title of Archdeacon of Glendalough and Canon of the Metropolitan Chapter.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 14thJune at 8.00pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 17th June

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 14th June 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church.

Present: Fr. Tim, Fr. Kevin, Teresa Ball, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Valerie Hamilton, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donvoan, Muriel O’Neill, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.

Apologies: Lorcan McMahon

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Matters discussed / Decisions

Minutes of 19th April/matters arising Were reviewed and discussed

Crosscare delivered a talk on the ‘Walk Tall. Program’ on Tuesday 22nd May for the parents of Sixth Class children of St Mary’s N.S. It was noted that this meeting was poorly attended. The speaker is booked for October for the incoming sixth class parents who children will be making their confirmation next spring.
Crosscare/Drugs Awareness Programme have invited the PPC to an Open Day held in Holy Cross College Clonliffe Road to listen and share with others our experiences to date. Three of us from the PPC hope to be in attendance.

C.P. Guidelines -
Valerie reported to the meeting that she had made contact with Fr. Paddy Boyle and that he had given her 2 dates when he would be available to meet with the C.P. representatives. Valerie also said that Fidelma is available on both dates and that she hadn’t made contact with Gene or Sean yet, but she hoped that they would meet to discuss the amendments to the Guidelines before our next meeting in September.

25th and 125th Anniversary Celebrations
The Youth celebration Mass has taken place on the 27th of May and the final confirmation Mass has taken place on the 26th of May.

17th June Celebrations
Joint PPC reps / school body reps – their final meetings took place last Monday the 12th June and today Thursday the 14th June for the joint school and church celebrations on the 17th June. All joint agreements are coming into plan. The Celebration Mass starts at 11am and there is a reception/fun day for everybody in the school straight afterwards. Included in these events is the unveiling of the stone, cutting of the cake, music provided by local musicians, a puppet show, games for the children, a history and art exhibition in the GP room. There will also be refreshments available for everybody for a small charge. The celebration will finish with the raising of the green flag at 2pm. The joint groups will split the costs of the day between them.

Tullamore Gospel Choir.
Ann reported to the meeting that she had issued invites to the parish workers and that the response has been good with most people looking for more tickets. Sponsorship has been arranged. Some members of the PPC will organise refreshments for the Choir after the concert, while other members will look after the seating arrangements/parking in the church.

Topic
Gospel Reading Luke 7:36-8:3
‘ She waited behind him at his feet, weeping, and her tears fell on his feet, and she wiped them away with her hair; then she covered his feet with kisses and anointed them with the ointment.’

Fr. Kevins’ 50th Anniversary Celebrations
Fr. Kevin thanked the PPC and everybody involved for all his or her help in preparing for a very enjoyable celebration and the evening was reported to have been a great success.

Deanery meeting
At the last deanery meeting on Monday the 14th May there was a proposal made that each
Parish in the deanery would promote prayer in the home. The idea of having a prayer space and this concept could be focused and enhanced with a particular object given by the Church to each home in the Parish. It was suggested at the meeting that an appropriate and attractive symbol to use would be the wooden Christmas figures made from Olive Trees that the Christian Palestinian people sell to promote their cause. Fr Tim reported to the meeting that he had been in contact with the organisation Zabeel/Fr.Faddi and that he had put this proposal to them, they agreed to source some products and would get back to Fr. Tim as soon as possible. It is hoped that the young people from Jerusalem who are visiting Blessington during the summer at the invitation of the Fr. Tim/d’Caf who are hosting the group could bring these products over with them.

It was agreed at this meeting to discuss the Lenten proposal at our next meeting in September.

Area Boundaries and Strategic Planning Group- As a Parish/PPC group we were asked which pastoral area would we like to invite to be part of a larger pastoral area – to rationalise resources and to facilitate a reduction in the number of Priests. Last spring the Fr. Tim facilitated 3 Parish meetings and asked a similar question as part of a survey, the findings of this survey was made widely available for everybody to read. The survey found that the parish of Blessington, Crosschapel and Manor-Kilbride would have a preference for the Parish of Valleymount/Lacken. The PPC secretary to write a letter to this effect to Fr. Michael Murphy Kilcullen.

AOB

Correspondence
CYC have asked us to promote the next World Youth Day in Sydney July 2008 and if they are young people interested in attending that the Parish would offer sponsorship. Posters for this event are available on wyd@cyc.ie and it was suggested to advertise again in the newsletter, the d’Caf and the Community School.

The PPC have received a letter from concerned parishioners with regard to the parking in front of the church during week-end Masses. The current situation has become a safety issue. It was agreed that the PPC would make this issue known in the newsletter and also to make the area in front of the church a set-down area only for people who need to be brought as close as possible to the Church. Also to ask for any other suggestions to be forwarded through the Parish Office.

The PPC received a letter from Gaelscoil na Lochanna asking us for several requests. There was a discussion had and everybody agreed at the meeting to acknowledge the letter and to discuss this letter in more detail at our next meeting.

We also received several information leaflets with regard to up and coming courses in the Autumn.

Date of next meeting:
Thursday the 13thSeptember at 8.30pm

Topic
Review of Gospel for Sunday 16th September


back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 13th September 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church.

Present: Fr. Tim, Fr. Kevin, Teresa Ball, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donovan, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.

Apologies: Fidelma Hogan, Muriel O’Neill

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young

Minutes of 14th June/matters arising
Were reviewed and discussed

Crosscare will deliver a talk on the ‘Walk Tall. Program’ this October to the parents of sixth class children who will be making their confirmation next spring.

Crosscare/Drugs Awareness Programme National Gathering Day. Betty reported to the PPC that the meeting had been informative, that our work to date as a parish was going well, she had made contact with the head of the National Drugs Tasks Force and as a result of this meeting is able to secure funds for the D’Caf. A representative from Cavan parish made a presentation and during it showed the meeting an information card for young people with local emergency/helpline telephone numbers, he explained that this project had worked out well and was received well by their local young people.

C.P. Guidelines – There was a meeting held during the summer with the Child Protection Representatives, Fr. Paddy Boyle, and Fr. Tim. As there were no C. P. Representatives at the meeting to update the PPC on their progress this discussion was postponed until they are available to meet with us.

World Youth Day – Ann reported to the meeting that Parish had received one application from a youth to attend the next World Youth Day in Sydney.

There will be meetings held in October for Parish Workers and there will be an opportunity to give people more updated information at this time.
25th and 125th Anniversary Celebrations

Both the 25/125th Anniversary Mass on the 17th June and the Tullamore Gospel Choir was reported to have been a great success and Lisa thanked everyone for all their work during the celebrations.

R.T.E. Radio Mass- Gerry reported at the meeting that he had booked the radio Mass last year for the 7th and 14th of October 2007 and that when he had made enquiries with the administration in R.T.E. during the summer it has appeared that our slots had been double booked. As a result a decision was made to cancel the booking.

It was suggested to have another event to finalise the celebrations before the end of the year. It was also suggested that it could be incorporated with the opening of the new school.

Topic
Gospel Reading Luke 15:1-32
‘ The Father said, “My son, you are with me always and all I have is yours. But it was only right we should rejoice, because your brother here was dead and has come to life; he was lost and is found”.’

Deanery meeting
Fr. Tim reported to the meeting that the olive wood Christmas figures from Palestine were too expensive to mass produce and that Ann had souced a suitable pop-up Christmas card product at a more reasonable rate. Fr.Tim informed the meeting that there is a Deanery meeting in October for priests and that he would discuss both the Christmas/Lenten initiatives at this meeting and see how these proposals could be moved forward.

Correspondence
Crosscare donated 2000euro to help towards the costs of the d’Caf via the PPC. The PPC thank crosscare for their support.

Gaelscoil na Lochanna, Mary to write a letter to let them know that there is a ‘do this in Memory’ program running in the Parish and that they are welcome to attend an open meeting every September when they have 2nd class children to present for their 1st Holy Communion.

The PPC have been invited to a Youth Action Prayer information morning in Kimmage Manor on the 15th of September. Betty and Mary have already made themselves available to attend this morning as the d’Caf have an information stand at it..

A.O.B.

Fr. Tim reported to the PPC that the host day held for the young people from Jerusalem during the summer was a great success and that we had received a thank you letter from them explaining how much they had appreciated there welcome and visit to Blessington.

There was a farewell, thank you, and presentation held for Rev. Kesh and his family at the 11am Mass last Sunday. Rev Kesh is leaving Blessington on the !6th of September for his new post in Manchester. Fr. Tim thanked everybody involved for his or her help and support on the day.

Fr. Tim informed the meeting that there would be an advertisement in the newsletter at the weekend
for a Parish Development Officer. It is hoped that the suitable person for the post would promote and collect for the neighbourhood collection and also to engage with people to invite them into the life of the Parish. Fr. Tim apologised to the meeting for not informing them before making the decision to advertise the post.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 11th October at 8.30pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 14th October


back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 14th October 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church.
Present: Fr. Tim, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Fidelma Hogan, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donovan, Muriel O’Neill, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.
Apologies: Fr. Kevin, Teresa Ball, Liam Fay, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon

Chairperson: Lisa Charles
Secretary: Mary Young/ Ann Creighton

Matters discussed / Decisions

Minutes of 13th September/matters arising
Were reviewed and discussed

C.P. Guidelines – Fidelma offered at the meeting to amend the changes in the current Blessington C. P. Guidelines that Fr. Paddy Boyle had recommended at their meeting in the summer. She also volunteered to liase with Sean and email Fr. Paddy asking for sample documents that could be handed out to helpers working with young people within the Parish.

Youth Action Prayer Information Morning. – Mary spoke with Bishop Eamonn about the possibility of producing information/prayer cards for young people the information would be emergency telephone numbers. These cards could be given out as part of the confirmation programme or handed out down in the d’Caf. He thought the initiative was a good and to bring the proposal back to the PPC.

Parish Development Officer – Fr. Tim informed the meeting that the Parish had received 2 applications and that situation/position was up for discussion with the Parish Finance Committee.
25th and 125th Anniversary Celebrations

R.T.E. Radio Mass- Fr. Tim received a letter from R.T.E. offering the Parish 2 different dates at which they could broadcast Mass from the Church in Blessington. Ann said that they had confirmed the booking for the later dates of 25th of November and 2nd of December, so as to give ourselves some time to prepare, as they were already looking for information from us with regard to the different liturgy of the Mass.

Topic
Gospel Reading Luke 17: 11-19
‘ Stand up and go on your way. Your faith has saved you.’

Deanery meeting -
Fr. Tim reported to the meeting that at the last Deanery meeting with the priests it was decided that each parish would have their own individual project for Christmas. He suggested that as a parish we could give a Christmas candle and a prayer card to every home in the parish. The possibility of a carol service in every estate was discussed. It was agreed to speak about this initiative “Rekindle the Spirit” at weekend masses of the 3rd/4th November and to hold a public meeting on Wednesday the 7th November and invite previous neighbourhood Mass co-ordinators to it. It was also agreed at the meeting to order the candles now.

Correspondence -
We received information from Crosscare with regard to the Cedar Programme that they are running to enable people with disabilities to participate in parish life more fully.

We received information from CYC in relation to WYD. Ann informed the meeting that Lisa Farley was travelling to Australia for the summer and that she would be making her own arrangements in getting there.

Bishop Eammon Walsh would like to meet with the PPC and he has tentatively booked Wednesday the 14th of November at 8pm

A.O.B. -
The date for the AGM was set for Monday 10th December at 8.00pm in the Church. This would be the same format as last year where all the Parish Volunteers are invited to the Church for 7.30pm for Mulled Wine & Mince Pies and the AGM would follow.

Lisa mentioned that three people gave their names last year who were willing to go onto the Parish Pastoral Council and nothing ever happened. (Nuala Haughian, Gerry Rawson & Eileen O’Donnell). Fr. Tim explained that at the Public Meetings held in the other two Churches during the year, it was decided that Nuala Haughian would be the link for Kilbride, Gerry Rawson would be the link for Crosschapel and Lisa agreed to speak to Eileen O’Donnell about whether she wished to join us.

Fr. Tim had two items:
1. A request had been made for a branch of Legion of Mary to be set up in Blessington. The P.P.C. members gave approval and the lady will be contacted to give the O.K.
2. Ciaran Duffy (son of Pat & Roma Duffy, Knockieran) is just back from Tanzania where he worked with a priest building a school. Ciaran told Fr. Tim of the work and asked if we could link up with Fr. Patrick Njiku (perhaps something through the school children). It was agreed that we should write to Fr. Patrick and ask if there is anything we can do for him on a practical level.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday the 14th November at 8.00pm

Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 18th November

back to top

Review of activities of Blessington Parish Council (P.P.C.)
December 2006 - November 2007

Introduction:
We had our 2nd AGM last year on the 11th December, this meeting was well attended and various matters were discussed.
Welcome by Fr. Tim - President.
Opening Welcome and Address by Chairperson Lisa Charles
Synopsis of work to date
Parish Finance Committee Report
Proposal for and extension to the existing church.
There was a ballet taken on the night and a decision was made to initiate the next step in planning for it.

The Parish Pastoral Council
The members of the P.P.C. have been in place for the last two years and they are: Fr. Tim, Fr. Kevin, Teresa Ball, Lisa Charles, Ann Creighton, Liam Fay, Valerie Hamilton, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Carmel O’Donovan, Muriel O’Neill, Gerry Staines, Eugene Tyrell, Mary Young. Geraldine Cleary resigned from the council last January and was thanked for her work.
There was also a subgroup formed in Crosschapel including P.P.C. members to co-ordinate Fr. Kevin’s’ 50th Anniversary Celebrations last May which was an enjoyable event and a great success.

Synopsis of work during 2007

Child Protection Guidelines
Fr. Paddy Boyle - Child Protection co-ordinator for the Dublin Diocese attended the P.P.C.’s January meeting. He noted the amount of work that the subgroup from the P.P.C. had done in preparing the Blessington Child Protection Guidelines document.
He pointed out that the Child Protection Designated Person for the Dublin Diocese
is Mr. Phil Garland. Throughout the year there have been ongoing discussions between Fr. Paddy Boyle, Fr. Tim and the Child Protection Representatives, and the final documentation for the Parish will be presented shortly when the discussion between the P.P.C. and Fr. Boyle is completed.

Christian/spiritual Education
The P.P.C. organised a series of well attended and successful Lenten talks with Christine Clear and in association with the Church of Ireland Community a series of Lenten talks with Fr. Michael Rodgers.

25th /125th Anniversary Celebrations
The P.P.C. were delighted to be part of and assist with the co-ordination of a successful year of Jubilee celebrations for both the Church of Our Lady and St. Mary’s National School.

The Lassus Scholars March ’07
Tullamore Gospel Choir June ’07
Millennium Choir May ’07
R.T.E. Radio Mass December ’07
Anniversary Mass Archbishop June 07
Christmas Carol Service Dec ‘07
Gift of a Candle and Prayer Card to each home for Christmas ‘07

Sacramental Preparation
The P.P.C. organised with Crosscare a Drugs Awareness talk that is part of a “Walk Tall programme” for parents of children making their Confirmation.

Other matters which were addressed during the year
1. Liaison with Parish Groups
2. Progress of dCaf (Assist in applying pressure for a Youth Worker for this area)
3. Parish Meetings. Facilitated by Fr. Tim.
4. Liaise with Youth with regards to World Youth Day.

Invited speakers at P.P.C. meetings
Invitees have attended particular meetings to share with the group their knowledge/expertise in certain areas.

1. Fr. Paddy Boyle – Child Protection Co- ordinator for the Dublin Diocese spoke about the amendments we need to make to the Blessington Parish Child Protection Guidelines.

2. Eimear O’Neill and Chris Murphy from Crosscare invited Blessington Parish to get involved in the Drugs Awareness Programme. March ’07.

3. Bishop Eamonn Walsh – spoke about the shortage of Priests and how lay people need to take an active role in the life of the church. He also spoke about in the future with the reduction of Priests there will be a need to share resources with surrounding Parishes.

Team work/Support for P.P.C. members/Spiritual formation.

Local Deanery meetings have been held in Kilcullen for P.P.C. members to discuss how Pastoral Councils have progressed since their formation.
As part of each P.P.C. meeting, the following week’s Gospel is reviewed and discussed.

Blessington Pastoral Council meet ten times a year and the minutes may be viewed at www.blessington.info

back to top

Minutes of (P.P.C.) meeting 14th November 2007

Venue: Meeting room, Our Lady’s Church.

Present: Fr. Tim, Teresa Ball, Ann Creighton, Lisa Charles, Liam Fay, Valerie Hamilton, Fidelma Hogan, Sally Joyce, Lorcan McMahon, Betty Murphy, Declan Naughton, Camel O’Donovan, Gerry Staines, Mary Young.

Apologies: Fr. Kevin, Muriel O’Neill.

Chairperson: Lisa Charles

Secretary: Mary Young


GUEST: BISHOP EAMONN WALSH

Bishop Eamonn attended the PPCs’ full meeting.

Bishop Eamonn spoke to the PPC about the shortage of Priests at present in the Deanery and that in the future there will be a need for Blessington Parish to amalgamate with surrounding parishes. He also spoke about the fact that lay people will need to take on a more active role in the life of the Parish. He discussed the four pillars which are effective for Parish Ministry, 1. Knowing your faith. 2.Sacrement-celebration/preparation, 3. High quality of masses that the congregation are nourished by the event. 4. Social out reach and that in time lay people would be actively involved in assisting with the sacraments for the Parish. It was decided at the meeting that the next step would be to share this information at the PPCs’ AGM which will be held on the 10th of December.

Minutes of 11th of October/Matters arising
Were reviewed and discussed.

Lisa spoke with Eileen O’Donnell and she is willing and available to join the Pastoral Council in January.

Child protection Guidelines
Bishop Eamonn explained that their had been a new person appointed as director to the National Board a Mr Ian Elliott and that he was looking for a more unified approach.
Fidelma spoke about the difficulty of getting information from Fr. Paddy Boyle, Fr. Tim asked Bishop Eamonn if he would ask Fr. Paddy for the relevant sample documents and to send them out to us. Fidelma and Liam to liase with one another to make the recommended amendments to the Parishes current Child Protection Guidelines.

Topic
Gospel Reading Luke21;5-19
“ Keep this carefully in mind; you are not to prepare your defence, because I myself shall give you an eloquence and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to contradict.”

Christmas Project.
Ann Recalled that the meeting of Wednesday the 7th was a good success. It was decided at the meeting to distribute the Christmas card and candle to every house in the Parish during the 1st 2 weeks of December. There will also be a carol service on the 16th of December in the square, this will be the last event to end the Parish year of Jubilee celebrations. There will be a meeting next Wednesday to arrange the Carol Service with the Church of Ireland community. The forum has agreed to co-ordinate the turning on of the Christmas lights with the Carol service this year.

A.G.M.
The A.G.M. will be held on the 10th of December incorporating Mulled wine and Mince Pies for Parish volunteers. The Agenda will consist of a Welcome form the President, Lisa as Chairperson her address and review of the year from Mary there will also be a Finance Committee Report.

Correspondence/A.O.B.
The PPC received an evaluation form from the archdioceses, which needs to be completed by the end of January.

The Webeditor has put in a huge amount of work during the reconstruction of the Parishes new website.

The present Parish Office Building has been sold to the Parish of Lusk and the new parish office hopes to open in the beginning of December.

Lisa thanked Bishop Eamonn for visiting the PPC. Lisa also thanked the PPC for their help during the year. Bishop Eamonn thanked the PPC for their time and said that he expects to have visited all the PPCs’/ Parishes of the Deanery by the end of March.

Date of next meeting: Thursday the 10th of January at 8.00pm


Topic – Review of Gospel for Sunday 13th January